Sunday, January 16, 2011

10 Minute Leg Warmers

Leg warmers are very simple to make yourself. And very cheap. You can purchase your socks from anywhere. I've heard some people getting them from a dollar store. I bought mine from Kmart. Came in a pack of 2 for $5. So for that little amount of money I can get 2 sets of leg warmers. If you browse online, you'll be lucky to find just one pair that cheap.

So I've put together a little tutorial for you. Now go have some fun, no more excuses!

Materials

  • Women’s knee high socks
  • Scissors
  • Sewing Machine (or needle and thread if you don’t have a machine)

Start by picking out the socks you want and lay them flat. You’re going to cut right above the toes and the heel. Save the foot part.


You can save the toe and heel part if you want. Or just toss it. I save mine because it’s scrap fabric that can be used for another project later on.

Next, grab your foot of the sock and tuck it inside. Do this by pinching the middle and fold in. If this confuses you, simple turn it inside out, fold over in half (like you’re folding socks) line up raw edges and then turn right side out.

My pictures are blurry, sorry for that.

Next we’re going to tuck the leg of the sock INSIDE our new cuff. Line up all the raw edges.

Notice all the raw edges are TOGETHER

And now it’s time to sew. You can pin this together if you wish. I usually do because I’m not talented enough to keep it in place by myself.

Make sure you are sewing on the INSIDE. Otherwise you’ll sew it shut or have some funny looking seams showing.

Now inspect to make sure you have sewn all the edges together but still have an opening through the leg.

You can trim up the edges if you want. I do this sometimes, depending on how bad my sewing job was. Just be sure to not cut too close to your seam or it will come apart.

Now fold the cuff down and you’re finished!

Here’s my model. She’s only wearing one because that’s all I had done. She was in a good mood so I took advantage of it while I could.



No comments:

Post a Comment